Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Trust and Faithfulness

As we're preparing to recieve our new little "girl" on Saturday, I'm realizing again just how great a responsibility it is to commit to raising a pup in health and safety.

And I'm reminded of just how much they trust us to do so.

Here's Elsie (photo on left) sleeping soundly next to Don. She's completely vulnerable in this position, compeltely exposed and unprotected. For her to slumber so, she needs to feel secure. Because she trusts us to keep her safe, she rests peacefully, fully assured that no harm will come to her while she sleeps.

From the look of things, she must be thoroughly convinced of our faithfulness and adequacy. I took six or eight pictures of her in this position from various angles, the camera flashing each time, and Elsie didn't move a muscle. She didn't even twitch. We tried moving her, too (she looked sooooo uncomfortable with her neck tilted that way), but she didn't rouse at all.

She slept undisturbed by all that happened around her.

I wish I could say the same. I often find my surroundings (i.e.: my circumstances) disturbing. Events poke at me and make me uncomfortable; my emotions flash. But instead of resting soundly, fully assured of my Owner's loving, faithful care and ability to provide for me, I growl and grumble and fret. Oh me of little faith! If only I'd learn to trust in the Object of my faith the way my Labs trust me.

For better or worse, Elsie, Baxter, and Ridge have put their faith in us. They've entrusted themselves to our care. And I'm glad.

The least we can do is try to make ourselves worthy. And we do.

They, in turn reward our efforts with their own faithfulness and trust. They shower us with companionship, love, and affection. They offer obedience, help, work, and sacrifice. They look to us for guidance and welcome it when we offer it to them.

I wish I could say the same.

I suppose trust is a learned behavior, as is how we respond to those who prove themselves faithful. And I'm still learning. I suppose I will be for the rest of this life.

In the meantime, our Labs continue to teach me. And I suspect our new little Kenya will, too.

May she find us worthy of her trust, as Elsie, Ridge, and Baxter have so far. And may God make and find us faithful.

'Til next time,
Joan

No comments: