Thursday, December 29, 2011

While We Wait: Catching Up on Previous Whelping Notes (Informational Post)

I figured that since we're waiting on Kenya, I may as well do something productive.

So, in addition to making sure all of our whelping supplies are in place, I've been reading through our previous notes about our whelping experiences just to remind myself again of what to expect and to make sure we're prepared.

Since each labor and delivery (each whelping experience) is unique though, we can only prepare *so* much.  Most of the work, of course, falls on the dam.  And Labs, in general, are easy whelpers. But *just in case* we try to be prepared.

For those of you who might be interested, here are links to a few of my previous posts from past litters that I'm reading through this afternoon.

I've also pulled out all our trusted resources and guides for handy reference, and I'm perusing them now. 

But our best preparations, when all is said and done, are probably the experiences our fellow Lab breeders have shared with us and the bit of experience we've gained over the years.

That said, I still have a knot in my stomach and a tightness in my throat. I suppose, in some ways, we can never really be fully prepared.  We can only do the best we can.

And so we will.

Still waiting....

'til next time,
Joan

No comments: