Thursday, June 16, 2005

My Helpers

When my children (as in human kids) were small, I always had "helpers." Throwing laundry into the washer, folding clothes, running the vaccuum, loading the dishwasher, weeding flowerbeds--you name it, no matter what I did I had a helper by my side.

Then my children grew up. Oh, they'll help when I ask, but they're not particularly interested in what I do anymore, and that's as it should be. It's time for them to be working their ways out of the nest.

I thought I was done with "helpers." I was wrong.

Now I have canine helpers. Let see...hmmm...Baxter pounces on the broom head whenever I sweep. I guess he thinks he can push it more effectively. Sweet boy. How nice of him to assist me.

Ridge follows me around on the deck when I water the plants (as do the other two). I guess he wants to be sure my plants don't die and that I water sufficiently. How kind of him to be so concerned. :o)

They all love to help load the dishwasher. Who needs water when you have three lab tongues!

They all bark at the vacuum cleaner, too. I suppose they're just trying to encourage the little-vaccuum-that-could to try harder. I never knew dogs were such selfless encouragers! And you know what? I think that little vaccuum does work harder when the canine kids are around!

And then there's Elsie. She likes to "help" me write. She sits by my side in the office (when I let her) silently cheering me on.

Sigh.

I have so much help these days, I just don't know what to do with myself!

Now, if I really want to get something done...well...that's another story.

'Til next time,
Joan

No comments: