Thursday, February 10, 2005

Temptation

Poor Ridge. It was just too much for him. I mistakenly left the remains of my nephew's birthday cake on the kitchen table, and Ridge--fine scent machine that he is--just couldn't resist. Now I know what happened to the cupcakes that disappeared off my counter two weeks ago. ;o)

Temptation. Even dogs live with temptation. Only they don't have the means to resist. We humans, on the other hand, are not driven by instinct alone; we have the ability to make choices.

One choice I'm making today and in the days ahead is to keep sources of temptation off of my kitchen counters; I won't even have them in the house. I'm trying to lose weight (have lost 21 but have 40 to go), and if tempting food is within reach I'm likely to consume it. Since I know I won't resist, I choose to keep the foods that tempt me away from me so I'm not even faced with their temptation. I won't bring them home. I just won't buy them.

Maybe someday I'll be strong-willed or determined enough to keep those things around the house and not eat them. But in the meantime, I'm still too much like Ridge: if it's there, I'll eat it.

I'd better just keep the stuff out of the house. It's better for me. And for Ridge.

'Til next time,
Joan


No comments: