Monday, May 02, 2005

Lessons from Dogs

A good friend sent this little ditty to me (Hi, Kath!), and though I've seen it circulating on the Internet before I never knew from whence it came. And since I didn't know its source, I couldn't duly credit it, and since I couldn't duly credit it, I didn't want to include it here.

Now, thanks to said friend-- ;o) --I can offer this wonderful thought-provoker with its source appropriately credited (sort of).

The following is called "What I Learned from My Dog," and it's included in a book called Animal Blessings: Prayers and Poems Celebrating Our Pets by June Cotner (author and complier). June Cotner attributes the following to "author unknown." I wish I could be more specific. Enjoy!


What I Learned from My Dog (author unknown)

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.
Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in my face to be pure ecstasy.
When loved ones come home, I will always run to greet them.
Let others know when they have invaded my territory.
Take naps and stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Eat with gusto and enthusiasm.
Be loyal.
Never pretend to be something that I am not.
If what I want lies buried, I will dig until I find it.
When someone is having a bad day, I will be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.
Thrive on attention, and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
No matter how often one is scolded, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout - run back and make friends.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.


While the above is thought provoking enough, my friend's e-mail adds the following paragraph to "What I Learned from My Dog":


"If you can start the day without caffeine,
if you can get going without pep pills,
if you can resist complaining and boring people with your troubles,
if you can eat the same food everyday and be grateful for it,
if you can understand when your loved ones are too busy to give you their time,
if you can overlook it when something goes wrong through no fault of yours and those you love take it out on you,
if you can take criticism and blame without resentment,
if you can ignore a friend's limited education and never correct them,
if you can resist treating a rich friend better than a poor friend,
if you can face the world without lies and deceit,
if you can conquer tension without medical help,
if you can relax without liquor,
if you can sleep without drugs,
if you can honestly say that deep in your heart you have no prejudice against creed, color, religion or politics,
then, my friends, you are almost as good as your dog."

Something to thing about, eh?

'Til next time,
Joan

No comments: