Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Still in Stage 1

Kenya seems to taking her sweet time. :)   She has stretches of being clearly uncomfortable, but spends more time pacing, panting, nesting, and being restless.

I did get about 4 hours sleep last night. Kenya finally went to sleep around 2 a.m., so I did, too! :)  We slept on the couch. ;o)

Kenya, who was snoring and dreaming in the whelping box, moved to the sofa when she heard me tiptoe over there to lie down.

Here she is this morning at 6 a.m. when DH came downstairs (I slept on the part of the couch on the left where the pillow and blankets are; Kenya slept about where she is in this pic):




I'll tell ya; I'd love it if Kenya were this snuggly all the time.  But then I suppose she wouldn't be our wiggle-butt-Kenya-bean! :)

And I certainly don't want her uncomfortable forever.

She's got a long way to go.

My guess is she won't start active contractions until late tonight (Stage 1 is often 24 hours).

And of course whelping just has to occur in the the wee hours of the morning. :)

It's just the way of it.

Stay tuned.  I'll let you know when her labor transitions.  For now we're holding our own!

'Til next time,
Joan

3 comments:

Chester said...

It's been quite awhile since I've visited and boy, oh boy! More puppies! I followed Elsie's labor daily last time. I hope all goes well and parvo does not rear it's ugly head this time.

Chester's Mom ;0-)

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Fingers and paws crossed here. Keep us updated!

Mary and Hope said...

Holy Cow! Well in this case Holy Dog Batman! I can't imagine being in labor for over 24 hours and just be in the first stage of it? What the ????? Poorest Kenya! I'll be thinking of all of you today as we await the blessed event of PUPPIES!!!!! Love to you all!