Tuesday, October 02, 2007

The Promised Delivery Video (better late than never!)

Okay, so I finally figured out how to edit video footage!

If you remember from five weeks ago, I promised a video clip of Elsie delivering a pup. Well, I actually did take the video (with my handy little point-and-shoot digital camera), but when I tried to upload the 7-minute clip, both YouTube and Blogger couldn't handle the file size.

No worries, though. This week I figured out how to edit the clip and turned the one 7-minute clip into two clips of 4 minutes and 3 minutes each.

Aren't you proud of me! Wow, you really can teach a middle-aged dog new tricks! It only took me five weeks to figure it out. ;o)

Anyway, WARNING: this might be a little gross (mostly slimy, not bloody) for the weak-of-stomach sort. ;o) The clip begins as the pup (rear end first) begins to emerge from Elsie's birth canal. Elsie is sitting as she delivers the pup.

In part one, you'll see Miss White's birth (she scared us a bit because she took a while to respond) and you'll see Elsie shredding the umbilical cord. You'll also see DH Don's gloved hands in there trying to keep Elsie from eating this pup's placenta (she'd already eaten her limit of one).




Then, here in part two, you'll see DH trying to get Miss White to nurse (she was slow to start). It takes a bit, but she ultimately latches on.



And, as you know, Miss White is doing just fine (she's a little sweetie, a spunky gal despite her lethargic start, and she's one of the most developmentally advanced girls).

Here's Miss White now:





Isn't it amazing how far we've come in just five short weeks???!!!

Wow!

'Til next time,
Joan



P.S. Whoops...for those of you who read this entry when it was initially posted, I mistakenly identified the pup being delivered as Miss Black. But after looking at my delivery notes this evening, I realized it was really Miss White, the runt, whose delivery is captured in this clip. So sorry for any confusion. ;o)

2 comments:

kate Flynn said...

Nature is the most wonderful thing as you so rightly say, the difference in 5 weeks is immense, it seems like only yesterday that i sat up into the early hours reading all about the birth of the pups-:0)

JuliaR said...

Whew! I'm worn oiut just watching the video! I can't imagine what it must have been like over almost 2 days of this. Good work, all of you!