Monday, September 22, 2008

Struggle and Growth: The Squiggle Squirts at 3 Days Old :o)

Just thought you might like to see how the little guys squiggle at this age (3 days):



It's amazing how much they've grown in strength and coordination (believe it or not) in just these couple of days.

But these little guys still look so uncoordinated (they are, neurologically), and movement looks so hard for them. Everything instinct in me wants to swoop in and make it easier (pick them up and place them with Elsie, or put them on her teats instead of allowing them to find the teats themselves).

But I have to resist. I have to reign myself in. It's far better for them if I allow them to work and crawl and tip over and protest, even if their attempts aren't as efficient as they one day will be.

Their struggle makes them stronger. It aids in their development. It produces better neurological connections and improved muscle tone. It prepares them for life later on.

That's not to say we don't help the weaker ones who really do need assistance (we do, like when we make sure the smaller ones who've lost weight get on a full teat first). But the less we interfere (in normal growth and development), the stronger and healthier the pups will be.

Okay...so, I get it (sometimes I just hate life lessons, don't you?). :o) My wanting to "fix" things isn't always what's best. Immediate fixes aren't always the best course of action. Whether it's for my children or my aging mother or my recently-dumped-by-her-husband twin sister or my best friends. Struggle is necessary for their (and my) growth.

Even if it breaks my heart.

In the long run, they (and I) will be better for it.

I just wish it didn't take so long to get there!


'Til next time,
Joan

No comments: